People that succeed with weight loss do two things very well:
- They identify weight loss strategies that give results quick and easy (they avoid the hype and nonsense)
- They apply them and keep consistency 7 days out of 7 (no cheatmeals or excuses for the first month)
Today I’m making it as easy as possible for you.
Take a few minutes of your time and tackle my insanely practical 15 weight loss tips you can apply TODAY that can help you wake up leaner from tomorrow on.
Actionable Tip #1: FOCUS On Increasing Your Daily NEAT To Burn More Fat
- Walk more steps than you currently do – Buy a pedometer or download an app that records your steps (Runtastic does a good job). Let it record how many steps you’ll do today without consciously influencing the results. Try to get a higher number tomorrow. Aim for 10.000 steps daily.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Don’t sit too much – desk job or laying around, start by getting up every hour and move around for 5-15 minutes. You can decrease the period you wait before getting up and moving a bit as days pass.
How this can help you lose weight: Your daily Non Exercise Associated Thermogenesis (NEAT) is a fancy word for the overall daily movement like fidgeting, walking, moving around. And it packs a bug punch from how much caloric burn your body generates every day. Increasing the overall caloric burn means you’ll also be burning more fat.
Additional Resource: The Role Of Neat In Obesity
Actionable Tip #2: Consider A Protein Shake Prior To Dinner For More Appetite Suppression
- Consume a shake that has 50-70 grams of protein before dinner – You need a shaker, protein powder, and milk. 1.5-2 scoops of protein powder with 300-400 ml of milk thrown in the shaker. Mix well until it gets smooth. Drink it 30-90 minutes before dinner.
How this can help you lose weight: While a definitive answer is not yet here, there seems to be a correlation between drinking a protein shake before dinner and your appetite. A study done by Pal et Al compared the difference in satiety between consuming a protein shake, tuna, chicken, turkey or eggs four hours before dinner. He saw that the protein shake was superior. The participants felt less hungry and ate less when presented with the dinner.
Actionable Tip #3: Eat Foods That Kill Your Appetite
- Pick foods with the highest ability to make you feel satisfied – Bean sprouts, watermelon, grapefruit, carrots, oranges, fish, chicken, apples, oatmeal, popcorn, baked potatoes, yogurt, banana, macaroni and cheese, brown rice
- Pick foods with the highest ability to keep hunger away – Did you know that potatoes are 323% more satiating than white bread? Food list: potatoes, brown pasta, wholemeal bread, grain bread, white rice, brown rice
Here are 343 foods that lower your appetite. Use a share button to unlock the list of foods that lower your appetite.
Click here to download the PDF
How this can help you lose weight: Being in a caloric deficit will make your appetite go up, and you’ll start craving for foods you enjoy eating. This is my number one enemy when I go on a fat loss diet. Making sure the foods you eat lower your appetite as much as possible. This helps you stick to dieting and avoid binge-eating.
Additional Resource: What To Eat To Lose Weight And Keep It Off Forever
Actionable Tip #4: Do Morning Cardio On An Empty Stomach To Burn More Fat
- Set a timed goal for cardio – Start with 20 minutes if you are just beginning. If you are somewhat fit, go for 40-50 (I use Runtastic on my android phone. I’ve heard good things about Runkeeper for iPhone).
- Supplement with BCAA’s – If you are also doing weight training, take around 10 grams of BCAA’s before the fasted training to avoid any potential loss of muscle mass (research reference down the page -> nr. 1)
- Start slowly – And reach up to jogging (don’t go overboard, you don’t need any of the “high intensity” nonsense)
How this can help you lose weight: Any additional activity you do outside of your normal daily routine counts as added burned calories. For example, you can burn 350 calories in 40 minutes of low-medium intensity cardio. That’s 2450 calories in 7 days. That’s 0.86 pounds in a week.
Additional Resource: How To Lose Weight Without Cardio (The 3’rd rule down the page)
Actionable Tip #5: Use The Controversial FlexiFasting Method To Make Your Weight Loss Flexible As A Breeze
- Set your daily fasting window between 15-24 hours (The fasting window is the period of time in which you won’t eat anything)
- For the period of time you set your fasting window, stay away from food and keep yourself busy
- Consume plenty of liquids: Tea, coffee (you can add sweetener to them, don’t use regular sugar)
- Break the fast with slow digesting whole foods (The feeding window is the period of time in which you are allowed to eat)
Whole foods that are good for breaking your fast with:
- Any kind of meat that’s low in fat: chicken, low-fat pork, fish
- Veggies: Mixed Frozen Vegetables, Dried Fruit, Baby Carrots, Cruciferous Veggies (broccoli crowns, cauliflower, cabbage, kale)
- Low-fat dairy sources: Low-fat cheese, low-fat milk
- Carbohydrates high in fiber: Beans (black, chick peas, kidney, lentils), oats
I made a list of 46 foods that are ideal to break your fasting window. Use any button to instantly download the file
Click here to download the PDF
How this can help you lose weight: While intermittent fasting is not necessarily better for weight loss, it is still a great tool to add flexibility to your diet. Being flexible with your diet is a great way to make it fit your lifestyle. That’s what’s keeping me consistent over the years
Additional Resource: The FlexiFasting Method
Actionable Tip #6: Count Or Approximate Your Calories (1-2 minutes/meal)
- Find out how many calories you have to eat every day to lose weight – click here to find out how much you have to eat
- Use the list of foods you have from actionable tips 1 and 3 (for a higher variety, it only takes a share to download the full lists)
- Use a website or an app to track your calories – Myfitnesspal is a nifty free app that’s doing a good job for tracking and recording what you eat and how much you eat. If you haven’t used it before, read their quick-start guide, here.
- Approximate or count the calories you eat – make sure you hit the number you got from point
How this can help you lose weight: “You can’t manage what you don’t track” – it’s the same with weight loss. If you don’t know how much you eat, then you won’t know what you are doing if you try to lose weight. Counting your calories and making sure you stay in a deficit is the bulletproof way to kickstart your weight loss. Don’t skip this step.
Additional Resource: The First Step To Losing Weight
Actionable Tip #7: Improve Your Fat Burning And Muscle Mass Maintenance With Protein
- Eat anywhere between 1.8-3 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight – Open your phone calculator, and multiply your bodyweight by 2. It’s a good starting point. That’s how many grams of protein you should shoot for.
- Eat high protein foods with every meal (you can also snack with bars or shakes)
- Some high protein sources: Lean chicken breast, Pork, Turkey, Cod, Tuna, Salmon, Low-Fat Cottage Cheese
How this can help you lose weight: Aside from being the main building block for muscle, it’s also the main nutrient that helps you spare muscle mass on a diet. Protein has the highest requirements to digest so you actually burn more calories when you eat more protein.
Additional Resource: How Much Protein You Have To Eat To Lose Fat And Maintain Muscle
Actionable Tip #8: Replace Normal Soda With The Diet Version
- Search for the diet version of your favorite soda – If you don’t know it, google it
- If there’s no diet version of your favorite soda – just pick the next one you like and look for the diet version
- If 1 and 2 fails, pick diet coke. You can’t go wrong with it haha
How this can help you lose weight: It’s obvious that substituting a drink filled with sugar with another one that has zero grams of sugar is another way of cutting down calories. From two bad choices, chose the one that’s less bad than the other one. I sometimes enjoy myself with a diet coke.
Additional Resource: The Best Way To Lose Fat And Avoid Fad Diets
Actionable Tip #9: Control What You Eat To Avoid Slip Off’s
- Get rid of processed foods – Don’t have them in your house. Give them away if you already have them
- Plan what you will eat for today– Don’t just leave yourself at the mercy of eating what’s convenient. Make a list of the foods you’ll eat today.
- Avoid distractions – Don’t eat while watching TV or in a car
How this can help you lose weight: If you control the way you eat and what you eat, you’ll lose weight no matter what. Being in control means you won’t slip off, you won’t overeat, or fall into binge eating.
Additional Resource: How To Make Your Own Flexible Meal Plan For Weight Loss
Actionable Tip #10: Supercharge Your Morning Fasted Cardio (Two supplements I like)
- Yohimbine speeds up fat loss – Take it 30-60 minutes before your morning fasted cardio. Research shows that a dose of 0.2 mg/kg of bodyweight is effective.
- Caffeine is the best thermogenic – It improves fat mobilization. It might improve muscle endurance, strength, and anaerobic performance. Drink a cup of coffee before the morning fasted cardio
- Combine those two for an even greater effect – A cup of coffee and 0.2 mg/kg bodyweight of yohimbine. Win
How this can help you lose weight: Yohimbine increases fat loss by loosening up the fat that’s found in stubborn areas. Coffee increases fat mobilization by increasing catecholamine levels . Simply explained, catecholamines are fat mobilizers. Pair these two and you get a greater effect than taking one at a time.
Additional Resource: It’s Not About The Best Diet Or Training Program…
Actionable Tip #11: Use Sleep To Improve Your Recovery
- Sleep between 7-9 hours every night – Sleep is a must. It promotes recovery and anabolic processes inside our bodies.
- Use supplements that improve your sleep – Zinc (5-15 mg), Magnesium Citrate (100-200 mg), and melatonin taken 30-60 minutes before you go to sleep seems to do the job
How this can help you lose weight: If you can get the 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night, the better your recovery will be. As your recovery is improved, the better you will perform the next day. And the better you perform, the more fat you can lose.
Additional Resource: How To Recover From Overtraining
Actionable Tip #12: Control Your Appetite Signs To Avoid Binge Eating
- The slow eating principle – Chew food slowly. Slow down the rate of your eating speed to half. Stop before you are fully satisfied
- Don’t wait to get hungry – Getting hungry means you are more susceptible to binge eating or over eating. Eat before you feel hungry.
How this can help you lose weight: Controlling your appetite puts you one step ahead of your uncontrollable appetite. If it can’t surface to make your diet day harder, then you are less likely to overeat or binge. Controlling how much you eat is the most important rule for fat loss.
Additional Resource: The Revamped 80-20 Diet Principle
Actionable Tip #13: Lower The Factors That Make You Eat More
- Don’t keep food close to you – I had some of my nastiest binges when I kept food on my work desk or close to my bed. Just don’t.
- Lower the plate size – Eat from smaller plates. It seems that it reduces the amount of food you eat. If the plate looks filled even if it is with less food, your brain will think you ate more
- Don’t fill up the table with food – Keeping additional food on table can make you eat more than what you planned for that meal
How this can help you lose weight: Indirectly, by lowering your total daily caloric intake. Trust me, it works even when you are at a bodyfat level as mine.
Actionable Tip #14: Create Your Own S.M.A.R.T Weight Loss Goal To Get The Motivation To Keep It Going
- Make it SPECIFIC (S) – Take a paper and a pen. Grab a chair. Sit and write down what exactly you want to accomplish and why. Don’t just write “I want to lose weight”. Be more specific.
- Make it MEASURABLE (M) – Think about a number. It can be from waist, bodyweight, bodyfat. Anything. Don’t write it down yet. Wait for the next bullet point. When you have the number, move to the next bullet point.
- Make it ATTAINABLE (A) – Is your goal realistic? Make sure you can attain the goals you set for yourself. Analyze your lifestyle. You schedule. Everything.
- Make it RELEVANT (R) – Does it matter to you? Does it have any relevance in your life?
- Make it TIMELY (T) – Put a timer on your goal. You should already have a measurable goal. Now give it a time limit. There’s no point in having false hopes of losing 30 pounds in 30 days (that only works in scammy advertisements that are trying to sell you supplements or nonsense books). A realistic example would be: “I want to lose 5 pounds in 2 weeks”.
How this can help you lose weight: The way most people get and stay motivated is by setting up goals. Trying to lose weight without getting any sense of direction is a recipe for wasting time and not accomplishing anything. I see too many people falling off and giving up. Create your S.M.A.R.T. plan.
Additional Resources: The 3 D’s To Unstoppable Weight Loss
Actionable Tip #15: Drink Water Even If You Don’t Feel Thirsty (Squeeze More Fat Loss)
- Aim for at least 5 clear urinations per day (two of those should be around your physical training program)
- Drink around 1L or water during your training program (don’t go over 2L)
How this can help you lose weight: Even small signs of dehydration can make you unable to train to your maximum potential. And that can indirectly impact weight loss. If you can’t perform at your max, then it means your rate of fat loss will be lower. No matter what physical activity you do.
A Step By Step Plan
If you liked my actionable weight loss tips, help me with a share, like and tweet this article.
If you want a step by step plan to apply these tips, download my Fat Loss Cheatsheet.
Also, tell me what’s your favorite weight loss tip? Do you have something that’s not on this list? Share it in the comment section below