Being accustomed with training clients for a long time, I’m always faced with answering this question: “Help me… What’s the first step to losing weight?”.
And the question is genuine these days…
A simple “solution” like “eliminate all the beverages you drink but with the exception of water” won’t work.
I mean, many people know how to lose weight. They know what they have to do. But they can’t seem to know from where to start.
Most don’t know the first step because other people are making them confused: fat loss “experts”, “gurus”, Youtube steroid-injected guys, etc.
And I don’t blame them. Down below I’ll detail the first step along with some simple steps you can apply right now to make your weight loss easier.
The Internet Driven Fat Loss Dilemma
I tried it myself. I went ahead and searched over the internet to see what others are saying.
And guess what?
Here’s what the first ten results had to say about the first step to losing weight (I won’t name the websites because I don’t want to put a bad name on them – but they should re-analyze what they are saying).
- Focus on one to two pounds of fat loss per week
- Preparing for the road ahead by getting your body and mind ready.
- “Detective work.”
- You should ensure you are prepared for this upcoming change
- All sorts of images with zero calorie foods that help with weight loss, all sorts of exercises, etc.
- Pick up a pen
- Eat whole foods
- Do something and get rid of toxins that are inside your body
- Make a commitment
- Limit your sugar intake
Alright. Nothing specific. Nada. None. Nihil. Rien. Nichts. (I’m actually using google translate for this)
I don’t want to say who’s right and who’s wrong, but my opinion differs from them.
Not only that but let’s be serious for more than a second.
Where’s the specific advice?
Lately, everybody generalizes and rehashes information all over the internet. Are those articles written by someone that went through a weight loss journey? That’s a question I sometimes put myself.
Here’s my six year journey:
And the first step to weight loss that I always make is nowhere in those articles. And I believe I have the first one right.
The Real First Step To Losing Weight
What I learned is that the simple thermodynamics equation trumps over everything else.
I’ve tried all sorts of dieting schemes, strategies, suggestions; you name it. Anything out there… I probably tried it.
And they all required specific steps.
But most of these diets were trying to lie to me. They were making me do something they wouldn’t say openly.
They were disguising specific and simple steps into complicated formulas. They did everything they could to make it look hard and impossible to do on my own.
In a sense… this is what most diets do: Disguise their steps into detailed advice, and making the steps look like rocket science. When it’s not.
All diets make you do this one thing without telling you: They make you reduce your caloric intake.
And this is the first step.
The Next Step After The First Step
How to reduce your caloric intake without counting anything?
Some of you might not want to go through caloric counting when you want to reduce calories, and that’s normal. But you have to realize that your body will always obey to this first rule: Reduce your caloric intake.
And to help you further, here are 10 easy ways to reduce your caloric intake without realizing you are doing it, and lose weight.
- Cut out or substitute normal soda with diet soda
- Limit your liquid calories (this includes juice, milk, energy drinks)
- Drink water (it might help you with appetite control)
- Eat whole foods (this will help you limit your caloric intake because whole foods are more satiating and less caloric dense)
- Cut back on the sugar you use in coffee, tea, etc.
- Try to reduce/cut back on bad habits like drinking, fatty foods
- Limit dressings on any foods
- Limit pasta, bread
- Start your meals with fruits, veggies first
- Eat slower – it might help you curb down your appetite
These are just some simple tips for losing weight that you can apply to your everyday diet. The best way to lose weight is by taking the first step.
You might have questions after this…
- Why do they hide it?
- Why don’t they make the steps self-explanatory and simple?
- Why do some diets recommend supplements are the first step?
- Why are there so many “gurus” that hide this simple fact?
I’ll be ignorant to say that I don’t know the reasons. Of course, I know their reasoning. But their reasoning is not mine.
And that’s why I created the DTM method for fat loss which is a FREE course that guides you through everything you have to do to set up a diet, and training program that works for you.
For a quick weight loss strategy, you have everything you need here.
This was short.
If you liked my article, hit the like button, tweet and share it with your friends. If you didn’t like it, well… there’s no thumbs down button but you can choose to leave it like that. If I helped you, I’m glad I could do it.
We now all know the first step to losing weight. Let me know what’s the first thing you do to lower your caloric intake. This can help other people. They will thank you first, and me later.